Have lots of leftover veggies in your fridge? Try this recipe for a healthy casserole.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Yields: 4 people
All the leftover veggies in your fridge
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 large can chopped tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, drained
1-2 large yams, slices into 1/8-inch-thick sheets
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop veggies (not yams) and sauté in 2 teaspoons of oil until soft, 5-10 minutes.
- Add can of tomatoes and chickpeas. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Slice yams into thin sheets.
- Lightly oil a casserole dish and layer the bottom with half of the yams.
- Spoon out vegetable mixture and spread evenly on top of yams.
- Layer remaining yams on top of vegetables and lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Take off the cover and turn up temperature to 450 degrees for 10 minutes to crisp up the top later.
- Add your favorite spices, like basil, oregano, fennel, cumin, chili pepper or sea salt when adding tomatoes and chickpeas.
- Use a mandolin to slice the yams into even slices.