Try this instead of cornbread as a side dish.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Yields: 6 people
1 cup yellow corn grits
1 teaspoon tamari
1 tablespoon olive oil
Generous pinch dried basil
3 cups filtered water
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, whisking frequently to prevent lumping and scorching.
- Reduce heat to low and cook polenta over low heat, whisking frequently until the center of the polenta bursts like a big bubble.
- Spoon polenta evenly into a lightly oiled shallow baking dish and set aside. The polenta will be firm after about 30 minutes.
- Try adding 1 cup of your favorite vegetable or 10-15 of your favorite olives, finely chopped to the mixture.