CLEAN UP your Trail Mix!
Fall hiking is one of the best ways to enjoy the season. Don't let packaged store bought trail mix fool you into believing is all natural and healthy! Most are LOADED with sugar & salt.
Not to worry! Following this simple homemade recipe will give you plenty of energy plus save you some money. Enjoy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Yields: 10 people
2 cups almonds, raw
1 cup pecans
2 cups walnuts, raw
2 cups pumpkin or squash seed, raw
2 cups dried cranberries
1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- In a bowl mix together almonds, pecans, walnuts and seeds. Cover with water and soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Rinse and discard soaking water.
- Add cranberries and add olive oil. Mix until everything is coated well.
- Spread the mixture out evenly on baking sheet and place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until you can smell the roasting nuts and they start to turn a lot.
- Cool and store in air tight glass container.
- Try any nuts and dried fruit you like.
- The nuts and seed do not have to be soaked or can be soaked for a few hours, but doing so helps their digestibility.