10 Tips for Curbing Those Cravings
When cravings strike (and you know they always do!), here are 10 tips for curbing those cravings!
- Drink Water: Not only does it help keep you hydrated, it also helps you feel full.
- Keep fruit on hand: When you’re craving something sweet, reach for the fruit rather than the candy. It will satisfy your need for sweet, and also help you get the much-needed nutrients that fruits provide
- Brush your teeth: By going through the effort of brushing, you’ll be less likely to eat and have to repeat the process. Also, mint helps suppress appetite.
- Eat a small amount of the food you’re craving: Build your Craving muscle. Want some chocolate? Ok, Eat just one Square of Dark Chocolate and put it back. Are cookies calling your name? Try eating a 1/3 of a Protein bar such as Quest's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar instead. Just stop at one third, and wait 20 minutes. Then ask yourself if you are still hungry.
- Put all of your temptations out of sight: Keep any foods that you know are your weak spots in drawers, on top shelves or OUT OF THE HOUSE!…anywhere you don’t readily see them. Hopefully you’ll forget they are there!
- Drink green tea: Not only is it packed with antioxidants, it can also help boost your metabolism. And, like water, it’ll fill your stomach without adding any extra calories.
- Collect the wrappers and bags from your snacks: After you eat a piece of candy or a bag of chips, put them in a jar where you can see it. It’ll help make you more aware of how much you are eating.
- Keep track of your success: Each time you say no to a craving, mark it on an index card. Add some positive affirmations on the other side to help remind you why you should resist.
- Make a collage of pictures that represent your end goal: Each time you think about giving in to a craving, take a look at the collage and ask yourself if it will help you reach your goal.
- Give up or reduce artificial sweeteners: They actually make you crave more sugar! If you must use them, use them sparingly.
Do you have any tips for reducing cravings? Share them in the Comments below!