Let's get started :)
TIME TO ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES AND GET TO WORK!!! So for the First week you will be implementing the following tools to help you understand what foods keep you satisfied and happy. In order to know what works, you need a PLAN and an AWARENESS of what foods work for your lifestyle .
The following might seem a bit daunting at first, but a little elbow grease NOW will morph into less work and more play in the long run! Totally worth it!!! You will be creating awareness, which is necessary for change! OK BRING IT!
WEEK 1 QUESTIONS:
As you go about your week keep these questions in the front of your mind.
How satisfing was this Food for me? ( On a scale of 1-10. 10 being -OMG so awesome)
- anything less than a 7- you might think about how to make it a 10-find a food tweak because it will not be sustainable and let's face it FOOD can be so amazing!
When I think of exercising how motivated am I? What can I do to get moving with less struggle?
- SO maybe you stall when it comes to moving your body? What about just a walk around the block for starters? Does that seem easy to do? Then start there. 10 minutes. That is it. No guilt.
What's your Subtext around food?
- When actors are preparing for a character, they create a subtext in the back of their minds which bring out the subtilties of their character. My subtext for the longest time was that I have to eat every 3 hours to keep my metabolism stoked. This subtext became part of my subconscious. When I finally let this myth go, I found that I only ate when I was hungry and weight naturally fell off. Oh Yeah!!!!
1- WHAT IS YOU TDEE?
TDEE or TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE is the amount calories your body burns in a 24 hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and even digesting food!
THE Fat Loss Secret
If we eat more calories than our body requires, we will gain weight.
If we eat less calories than our body needs, we will lose weight.
Sounds simple! This theory has been around for sometime and while it still rings true, there are other contributing factors which we will learn over the 30 days.
Unless we know exactly what our TDEE is, we have no way of knowing how many calories to consume to burn body fat or gain (preserve) muscle. The TDEE calculator tells us how many calories we should consume to accomplish our goals in an effective and efficient manner while preserving muscle. In other words, the TDEE calculator allows us to get the best results, in the least amount of time, safely.
We will use the TDEE Calculator to figure out how many calories your body needs to function at your current activity rate.
To figure out your TDEE and get started fill out all of the fields in the TDEE calculator link below.
Below is an example of the Calculator.
Below are the STATS after we calculated from the above info . As you can see below, this 35 year old , 5'6" Female, we will call her Sally, needs 1,670 calories a day to maintain her current weight of 150 to just sit around.
When we add activity, you can see that Sally can eat more to maintain the 150 pounds.
Our goal here is to find a number that helps you lose weight steadily and is easy to maintain.
OK go and get you TDEE number below. Please input you info and for Activity please use sedentary. We will calculate activity separately.
2 -LOSE IT- TRACKING YOUR FOOD AND MOVEMENT
Logging your food creates awareness and allows you to see what works and what doesn't!
What is your first reaction to logging food? Is it an enthuacatic YES!!!! or seems like a lot of work?
I love logging food because I can clearly see how to get to my goal. You can use the MEAL PLAN I gave you if you are not into logging food, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a food log if you are serious in learning and keeping the weight off!
I also highly recommend using the FREE app Lose it because it calculates calories and all the macros (carbs, protein, fat) or the old pen & paper works too :)
Here is an example of LOSE IT get it HERE
3: BODY BASELINE (BB)
Now that you have you Food Log set up and your TDEE lets get specific the following is a starting guide and you will tweek it depending on what you needs are.
To lose 1 pound a week
- you need a daily deficit of 500 calories.
- The easist way I have found to lose weight steadily is to subtract 250 from you food intake and 250 from exercise.
IF my sedentary TDEE is 1600 then 1600-250=1350 calories, so then i need to exercise 250 calories a day to = Deficit of 500 calories
Of course you can set up any way you would like. Its your PLAN! So if you want to exercise all 500 calories so you can eat more Awesome!!
Remember NOT all calories are created Equal. We will go into more depth in later Modules.
Our goal is to eat calories that are packed with the most nutrition which will KILL your Cravings.
Here is where you will start.
- Weigh yourself 1 time a week -same day and time. We will use this as a tool to measure progress.
- Log your food and you will quickly see your numbers add up
- HIT your Target numbers and each week & measure your progress.
- How do you feel? Were you hungry? Did you feel deprived? Add more protien and or fiber to stay full and satisfied.
CARBS- Start with 100 grams a day
- Limit/remove REFINED CARBS (sugar, breads, pasta, high sugar fruit,....)
- Get most of your carbs from Green Veggies and Low Sugar Fruit (Raspberries, Blackberries)
- Aim for 35 grams of fiber a day
PROTEIN- Start with .7 grams of protein x your body weight per day. So If I am 145 pounds 145x.7 =100 grams a day (approx )
- try to have it at every meal
- if you get hungry eat Protein and/or fiber
FAT- eat as much as as you would like for the remaining calories
- eat healthy fats (coconut oil, nuts, avocados, olives....)
THIS WEEK PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR ENERGY and CRAVINGS.
The above numbers could change based on:
- if you are losing weight
- if you are hungry
- if you have cravings
- and of course if you are Han-gry!
GOALS FOR WEEK 1
- Calculate Your TDEE
- Log your Food
- Work on hitting your target
- starting moving (walking, spin class, weights...)
- ask yourself the questions daily